Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The German Language Can Be Like the Telephone Game

   When I was little, my grandmother used to make something called 'Kaduffel Glace'. I don't really remember what it was as I despised eating. But I do remember the farina dumplings. Before we were allowed to open the Christmas presents one Christmas Eve, my farina dumplings had to be completely consumed. They were pretty good, but I could never figure out the recipe on making them. One day, I should tackle that.
   On the Kaduffel glace. A couple of years ago, I was looking for this recipe called, Kaduffel glace. I had no idea how to spell it. And, of course, I never found the recipe. But what I did find was a recipe for 'Kartoffel Kloesse' which was German for potato dumplings. Now when I think about it, I have a feeling that the original 'Kaduffel Glace' was really 'Kartoffel Kloesse'! Someday I will have to make them.
  I learned something on a mailing list one time. A lady explained to me that the people in Northern Germany tended to use a lot of potatoes for their starch, while the Southern people in Germany and Austria used more noodles. I guess that would make sense. We were very familiar with noodles. I still use them quite a bit, but, then again, I use potatoes a lot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment