Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Daily German Word - 10 Mai, 2012 - Die Lorelei

Today I will post a poem by Heinrich Heine called, 'Die Lorelei'. I learned part of this in German I

Die Lorelei


Heinrich Heine, 1822 (1799-1856)
1. Ich weiß nicht, was soll es bedeuten,
Daß ich so traurig bin,
Ein Märchen aus uralten Zeiten,
Das kommt mir nicht aus dem Sinn.
Die Luft ist kühl und es dunkelt,
Und ruhig fließt der Rhein;
Der Gipfel des Berges funkelt,
Im Abendsonnenschein.



Here is the English translation. Keep in mind that you cannot translate sentences word for word, 
in most cases.



Tr. Frank 1998
1. I cannot determine the meaning
Of sorrow that fills my breast:
A fable of old, through it streaming,
Allows my mind no rest.
The air is cool in the gloaming
And gently flows the Rhine.
The crest of the mountain is gleaming
In fading rays of sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment