Sunday, May 13, 2012

Daily German Word - 14 Mai, 2012 - Berliner

Today's Daily German Word


Berliner
means
a person from Berlin

Ich bin Berliner.
I am a Berliner.

ein Berliner
means
a 'jelly-doughnut'

'Ich bin ein Berliner'
I am a jelly doughnut.

These words were spoken by John F. Kennedy while in Berlin giving a speech in June of 1963. He had some assistance in trying to communicate to the German people in their language, prior to his speech. What he didn't realize was that he should have said, "Ich bin Berliner', which means "I am a Berliner' rather than "Ich bin ein Berliner" which means when translated, "I am a jelly doughnut"! The difference is in the article 'ein'. Since it was put in front of the word 'Berliner' it changed the whole meaning of the sentence! But I am sure that even though it may have come out funny to the German ears, I am sure they understood the intent of what he was trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment